Delaware Plans New Family Support Waiver
That plan was developed and submitted to the General Assembly after holding feedback sessions with a variety of family and self-advocacy organizations to address topics of importance to aid in the development of the supports waiver. The following represents some of the areas noted:
- Planned and unplanned respite opportunities should occur in a variety of settings, and be provided by well trained staff,
- Personal care is needed to develop independent living skills to support a life in the community,
- Stipend payments will help assist families to stay together,
- Home and vehicle modifications,
- Assistive technology,
- System navigation is necessary through each state of a person’s life; and,
- A quality case management system to understand and support the needs of individuals living at home and the changing support needs of the family is critical.
In conjunction with the plan to develop a family support waiver, Delaware has also received approval for its Pathways to Employment program for individuals age 14 to 25 interested in working.
FMI: To read the Family support waiver plan go to:
To read more about the Pathways to Employment program go to: http://www.dhss.delaware.gov/dhss/dsaapd/pathways.html.