Alabama DMH / Certified Peer Specialist II (Mental Illness Peer Specialist)
EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY – REANNOUNCEMENT
JOB TITLE: Certified Peer Specialist II (Mental Illness Peer Specialist)
OPEN DATE: 05/19/2023
CLOSE DATE: 06/16/2023
JOB LOCATION: Department of Mental Health RSA Union Building, 100 North Union Street Montgomery, Alabama 36130
JOB CODE: R1600
• Range 70 ($36,876.00 – $61,660.80 Annually).
• Salary will be commensurate with experience. Limitations apply to current State employees.
• 12 paid holidays.
• 1 personal leave day accrued each January.
• 13 sick leave days.
• 13 annual leave days accrued in the first year of employment.
• Longevity bonus annually after 5 years of employment.
• Very low-cost health and dental insurance through the Alabama State Employee Insurance Board.
• Defined retirement benefit (not impacted by economic downturns) and a pre-retirement death benefit through the Retirement Systems of Alabama.
▪ After 1 year, the minimum amount of the pre-retirement death benefit paid to your designated beneficiary is at least equal to your current or previous fiscal year annual salary.
• Bachelor’s degree.
• 24 months or more or more paid work experience.
• Must have personally experienced a mental illness and be in recovery and willing to self-identify as a person with mental illness in public.
• Experience working as a Certified Peer Specialist with the department, an agency certified or contracted by the department, or in a similar setting may substitute for the degree requirement on a year-for-year basis. (This experience must be in addition to the two-year work experience requirement as stated above.)
• The individual who is employed in this position must have been a consumer of mental illness. The application must include documentation that supports receiving mental illness services.
• Must possess current certification by having successfully completed the Certified Peer Specialist Training through the Department of Mental Health.
• Must attend quarterly continuing education training and must maintain current certification.
KIND OF WORK
• Assists the Director in monitoring the office budget, processing contracts, invoices, and travel for non- state employees.
• Oversees the office activities in the absence of the Director.
• Assists in coordinating the Alabama Certified Peer Specialist training programs and the Annual Alabama Institute for Recovery Conference.
• Provides support for the day-to-day operation of the office.
• Serves as the peer lead for the department and office in working with contractors as subject matter experts.
• Provides technical assistance to various consumer-operated and peer programs.
• Assists the Director in coordinating the ADMH Certified Peer Specialist Training programs and continuing education training.
• Creates, monitors, evaluates, edits, and approves new Certified Peer Specialist training.
• Provides education and information on Recovery, Peer Support, and living with MI.
• Assists in publishing the office newsletter, Listen, and other office publications.
• Assists in the planning, organizing, and implementation of various conferences, meetings, and workgroups.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
• Knowledge of the mental health delivery system in Alabama.
• Knowledge of budgets, contracts, and accounting.
• Ability to plan, organize, and prioritize work activities.
• Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
• Ability to work effectively with a variety of professionals, advocates, family members, and consumers.
• Ability to operate a personal computer and working knowledge of Microsoft Office products.
• Ability to coordinate and facilitate meetings.
• Ability to make presentations and provide training.
METHOD OF SELECTION
• Applicants will be rated based on an evaluation of their job-related training, abilities, experience, and education, and should provide adequate work history identifying experiences related to the duties and minimum qualifications as mentioned above.
• All relevant information is subject to verification.
• Drug screening and security clearances will be conducted on prospective applicants being given serious consideration for employment whose job requires direct contact with patients.
Click Here to Apply Now: https://laserfiche.alabama.gov/Forms/ADMH-Job-Application
Only work experience detailed on the application will be considered. Applications should be submitted by the deadline to be considered. Announcements open until filled will remain open until a sufficient applicant pool is obtained. Applications should be submitted as soon as possible to ensure the application will be considered for the position. Copies of License/Certifications should be uploaded with your application. A copy of the academic transcript is required. Appointment of successful candidate will be conditional based on receipt of the official transcript provided by the school, college, or university.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
To apply for this job please visit laserfiche.alabama.gov.