Alabama DMH / Deaf Care Worker
JOB TITLE: Deaf Care Worker
OPEN DATE: 09/01/2023
CLOSE DATE: Until Filled
JOB LOCATION: Bryce Hospital Tuscaloosa, Alabama
JOB CODE: B3500
• Range 50 ($24,693.60 – $38,541.60 Annually).
• Salary will be commensurate with experience. Limitations apply to current State employees.
• 12 paid holidays.
• 1 personal leave day accrued each January.
• 13 sick leave days.
• 13 annual leave days accrued in the first year of employment.
• Longevity bonus annually after 5 years of employment.
• Continuous opportunities for acquiring CEU’s needed for maintaining professional license.
• Very low-cost health and dental insurance through the Alabama State Employee Insurance Board.
• Defined retirement benefit (not impacted by economic downturns) and a pre-retirement death benefit through the Retirement Systems of Alabama.
▪ After 1 year, the minimum amount of the pre-retirement death benefit paid to your designated beneficiary is at least equal to your current or previous fiscal year annual salary.
• Graduation from a standard high school or GED equivalency.
• Must be at least 18 years of age at the time of appointment.
• Successful completion of the Sign Language Proficiency Interview (SLPI) at an Intermediate or higher level as determined by the Alabama Department of Mental Health Office of Deaf Services SLPI Evaluation Team. (Note: Previous testing by other screening evaluations or teams will not be considered.)
• Possession of a valid Alabama Driver’s License.
KIND OF WORK
• Assists deaf and hard of hearing (D/HH) patients with personal hygiene and activities of daily living.
• Communicates effectively with D/HH patients using American Sign Language (ASL).
• Maintains the security of D/HH patients.
• Accompanies D/HH patients to activities and functions, appointments, and field trips.
• Observes and documents patients’ physical and mental conditions and reports pertinent information.
• Completes hospital documentation as required.
• Assists therapeutic recreation staff and provides appropriate recreational activities to the D/HH patients.
• Follows established policies and procedures in the prevention and control of infections, fire, disasters, and severe weather safety activities and drills.
• Participates in mandatory training and in-services.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
• Knowledge of American Sign Language (ASL).
• Knowledge of cultural and behavioral norms of deaf people.
• Ability to communicate effectively in ASL, with an Interpreter, and in writing.
• Ability to read and comprehend documents such as policies and procedures, either in written English or a version translated into ASL.
• Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide.
METHOD OF SELECTION
• Applicants will be rated based on an evaluation of their job-related training, abilities, experience, and education, and should provide adequate work history identifying experiences related to the duties and minimum qualifications as mentioned above.
• All relevant information is subject to verification.
• Drug screening and security clearances will be conducted on prospective applicants being given serious consideration for employment whose job requires direct contact with patients.
Click Here to Apply Now: https://laserfiche.alabama.gov/Forms/ADMH-Job-Application
Only work experience detailed on the application will be considered. Applications should be submitted by the deadline to be considered. Announcements open until filled will remain open until a sufficient applicant pool is obtained. Applications should be submitted as soon as possible to ensure the application will be considered for the position. Copies of License/Certifications should be uploaded with your application. A copy of the academic transcript is required. Appointment of successful candidate will be conditional based on receipt of the official transcript provided by the school, college, or university.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
To apply for this job please visit laserfiche.alabama.gov.