Alabama DMH / Deaf Therapist II
JOB TITLE: Deaf Therapist II
OPEN DATE: 7/14/2023
CLOSE DATE: Until Filled
JOB LOCATION: Department of Mental Health, Region II Community Services, 1305 James I. Harrison Jr. Parkway, Tuscaloosa, Alabama 35403
JOB CODE: B9100
• Range 80 ($58,692.00 – $98,678.40 Annually).
• Salary will be commensurate with experience. Limitations apply to current State employees.
• 12 paid holidays.
• 1 personal leave day accrued each January.
• 13 sick leave days.
• 13 annual leave days accrued in the first year of employment.
• Longevity bonus annually after 5 years of employment.
• Very low-cost health and dental insurance through the Alabama State Employee Insurance Board.
• Defined retirement benefit (not impacted by economic downturns) and a pre-retirement death benefit through the Retirement Systems of Alabama.
▪ After 1 year, the minimum amount of the pre-retirement death benefit paid to your designated beneficiary is at least equal to your current or previous fiscal year annual salary.
• Promotional from Deaf Therapist I.
• Master’s degree in Counseling, Social Work, or Psychology. Must be licensed in discipline.
Note: If these minimum qualifications cannot be met, the application may be considered for a Deaf Therapist I position.
• Deaf Therapist I (B9000) – Master’s degree in Counseling, Social Work, or Psychology.
NECESSARY SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS
• Must maintain licensure in discipline. If hired at Deaf Therapist I must demonstrate continual progress toward obtaining licensure.
• Must have near native-level signing skills equal to Advanced level or higher of signing skills in American Sign Language (ASL) as measured by the Sign Language Proficiency Interview (SLPI).
• Must have a valid driver’s license to operate a vehicle in the State of Alabama.
KIND OF WORK
• Serves as a therapist providing clinical services to deaf and hard of hearing consumers in a 14- county area, including Tuscaloosa and parts of Birmingham.
• Provides clinical services as requested to deaf patients in state-operated-facilities.
• Ensures client files are updated using mental health center protocol.
• Attends, completes, and remains current on all required training at each of the mental health centers served.
• Conducts clinical and communication assessments.
• Participates in Sign Language Proficiency Interview (SLPI) ratings as needed.
• Provides clinical supervision over university interns.
• Completes various reports and paperwork required.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
• Knowledge of mental illness and the effects thereof upon individuals who are deaf or hard of hearing.
• Knowledge of psychotropic medications, their use, and side effects.
• Knowledge of deaf culture.
• Knowledge of community mental health and community substance abuse service providers.
• Ability to use American Sign Language fluently.
• Ability to utilize the computer, internet resources, and various software packages.
• Ability to communicate effectively both verbally (i.e., spoken English and American Sign Language) and in writing.
• Ability to acquire an understanding of visual-gestural communication approaches used by consumers who are dysfluent.
METHOD OF SELECTION
• Applicants will be rated based on an evaluation of their job-related training, abilities, experience, and education, and should provide adequate work history identifying experiences related to the duties and minimum qualifications as mentioned above.
• All relevant information is subject to verification.
• Drug screening and security clearances will be conducted on prospective applicants being given serious consideration for employment whose job requires direct contact with patients.
Click Here to Apply Now: https://laserfiche.alabama.gov/Forms/ADMH-Job-Application
Only work experience detailed on the application will be considered. Applications should be submitted by the deadline to be considered. Announcements open until filled will remain open until a sufficient applicant pool is obtained. Applications should be submitted as soon as possible to ensure the application will be considered for the position. Copies of License/Certifications should be uploaded with your application. A copy of the academic transcript is required. Appointment of successful candidate will be conditional based on receipt of the official transcript provided by the school, college, or university.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
To apply for this job please visit laserfiche.alabama.gov.