Alabama DMH / Health Information Specialist
JOB TITLE: Health Information Specialist
OPEN DATE: 11/20/2023
CLOSE DATE: Until Filled
JOB LOCATION: Bryce Hospital, Tuscaloosa, Alabama
JOB CODE: Y1000
• Range 65 ($33,220.80 – $55,615.20 Annually).
• Salary will be commensurate with experience. Limitations apply to current State employees.
• 12 paid holidays.
• 1 personal leave day accrued each January.
• 13 sick leave days.
• 13 annual leave days accrued in the first year of employment.
• Longevity bonus annually after 5 years of employment.
• Very low-cost health and dental insurance through the Alabama State Employee Insurance Board.
• Defined retirement benefit (not impacted by economic downturns) and a pre-retirement death benefit through the Retirement Systems of Alabama.
▪ After 1 year, the minimum amount of the pre-retirement death benefit paid to your designated beneficiary is at least equal to your current or previous fiscal year annual salary.
• Graduation from an accredited program by the Commission on Accreditation for Health Informatics and Information Management Education (CAHIIM) or an equivalent form of certification from the American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA).
• High School Diploma or GED equivalency.
• 24 months or more experience in Health Information Management.
KIND OF WORK
• Serves as the first point of contact for the health information department.
• Reviews patient records for timeliness, completeness, and accuracy.
• Enters patient information into the electronic health record system.
• Organizes and updates information in clinical databases or registries.
• Records data for collection, storage, analysis, retrieval, and reports.
• Responds to records requests.
• Validates authorizations and other legal requests.
• Analyzes existing records and recording procedures to improve processes.
• Provides administrative support to other staff in the health information management department.
• Coordinates the work of clerical staff working in the department.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
• Knowledge of the Department of Mental Health and Joint Commission Standards.
• Knowledge of the Health Information Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA).
• Knowledge of and ability to work within an electronic health information system.
• Knowledge of coding assignments, guidelines, and medical terminology.
• Skilled in effective organization techniques.
• Ability to collect and analyze data to identify errors.
• Ability to communicate verbally and in writing.
METHOD OF SELECTION
• Applicants will be rated based on an evaluation of their job-related training, abilities, experience, and education, and should provide adequate work history identifying experiences related to the duties and minimum qualifications as mentioned above.
• All relevant information is subject to verification.
• Drug screening and security clearances will be conducted on prospective applicants being given serious consideration for employment whose job requires direct contact with patients.
Click Here to Apply Now: https://laserfiche.alabama.gov/Forms/ADMH-Job-Application
Only work experience detailed on the application will be considered. Applications should be submitted by the deadline to be considered. Announcements open until filled will remain open until a sufficient applicant pool is obtained. Applications should be submitted as soon as possible to ensure the application will be considered for the position. Copies of License/Certifications should be uploaded with your application. A copy of the academic transcript is required. Appointment of successful candidate will be conditional based on receipt of the official transcript provided by the school, college, or university.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
To apply for this job please visit laserfiche.alabama.gov.