Alabama DMH / Mental Health Specialist III
EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY – REANNOUNCEMENT
JOB TITLE: Mental Health Specialist III
OPEN DATE: 9/8/2023
CLOSE DATE: 10/6/2023
JOB LOCATION: Department of Mental Health RSA Union Building, 100 North Union Street Montgomery, AL 36104
JOB CODE: A6500
• Range 78 ($54,290.40 – $91,269.60 Annually).
• Salary will be commensurate with experience. Limitations apply to current State employees.
• 12 paid holidays.
• 1 personal leave day accrued each January.
• 13 sick leave days.
• 13 annual leave days accrued in the first year of employment.
• Longevity bonus annually after 5 years of employment.
• Very low-cost health and dental insurance through the Alabama State Employee Insurance Board.
• Defined retirement benefit (not impacted by economic downturns) and a pre-retirement death benefit through the Retirement Systems of Alabama.
▪ After 1 year, the minimum amount of the pre-retirement death benefit paid to your designated beneficiary is at least equal to your current or previous fiscal year annual salary.
• Master’s degree in a human services field.
• 48 months or more experience in the development, provision, and/or monitoring of intervention and treatment services for young adults (within the adult or child/adolescent mental health field) with serious mental illness.
• 24 months current permanent status as a Mental Health Specialist II performing duties as indicated above.
Human services field includes the following disciplines: Social Work, Psychology, Criminal/Juvenile Justice, Special Education, Sociology, Speech Education, Rehabilitation, Counseling, Speech Pathology, Audiology, Nursing, Physical or Occupational Therapy, and any related academic disciplines associated with the study of Human Behavior, Human Skill Development, or Basic Human Care Needs.
• Must be willing to travel frequently to project sites within Alabama (70 percent of time) and possibly occasionally travel out of state.
• Must have a valid driver’s license to operate a vehicle in the State of Alabama.
KIND OF WORK
• Oversees the planning and implementation of grant and project activities throughout the Alabama First Episode Psychosis (FEP) Project within the Mental Illness and Substance Use Division, Office of MI Community Programs.
• Participates in the system-wide development and implementation of the SAMHSA required evidence-based practice (FEP).
• Coordinates with the state advisory council and the local advisory council and oversees the completion of the state FEP process.
• Attends the FEP training and serves as the state FEP trainer for identified FEP programs by providing site-based training for each project participating agency and involved local and state partners.
• Acts as a liaison between agencies involved in the project including communicating/coordinating with external consultants and technical assistance advisors.
• Provides technical assistance to all FEP teams, mental health practitioners, mental health agency leadership, and local involved partners.
• Assists agencies with developing fidelity action plans for better implementation of the FEP approach.
• Assists in the development and implementation of data collection and analysis process, tracks FEP outcomes, and helps FEP staff at the provider level set measurable goals for improved performance.
• Generates, coordinates, and disseminates reports to community provider sites to ensure project compliance and ensure all FEP staff are hired at participating community mental health centers, as well as ongoing monitoring of the local FEP sites.
• Meets with provider staff on an ongoing basis to effectively develop and implement strategies for successful program outcomes.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
• Knowledge of serious mental illness, the public mental health system provided by state and local public mental health agencies, other state agencies and organizations, and private agencies.
• Knowledge of working with consumer and parent support organizations.
• Knowledge of the method and process for successful organizational change for the purposes of transitioning individuals, teams, and organizations toward a desired goal.
• Knowledge and experience with grant implementation.
• Knowledge of and ability to develop plans for program development consistent with recognized evidence-based practices, recovery concepts, and peer support specialists.
• Knowledge of training and development principles, practices, and techniques.
• Excellent interpersonal communication skills.
• Ability to effectively interact with individuals with serious mental illness and their families.
• Ability to prepare grant applications in accordance with federal guidelines.
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with state-level staff, community providers, stakeholders, and the public.
• Ability to develop short and long-range plans.
• Ability to organize and conduct meetings, trainings, and workshops effectively.
• Ability to provide consultation and technical assistance.
• Ability to take initiative, work independently, and overcome obstacles.
• Ability to express ideas clearly, both verbally and in writing.
• Ability to proficiently operate a personal computer including Microsoft Word, Access, and Excel.
METHOD OF SELECTION
• Applicants will be rated based on an evaluation of their job-related training, abilities, experience, and education, and should provide adequate work history identifying experiences related to the duties and minimum qualifications as mentioned above.
• All relevant information is subject to verification.
• Drug screening and security clearances will be conducted on prospective applicants being given serious consideration for employment whose job requires direct contact with patients.
Click Here to Apply Now: https://laserfiche.alabama.gov/Forms/ADMH-Job-Application
Only work experience detailed on the application will be considered. Applications should be submitted by the deadline to be considered. Announcements open until filled will remain open until a sufficient applicant pool is obtained. Applications should be submitted as soon as possible to ensure the application will be considered for the position. Copies of License/Certifications should be uploaded with your application. A copy of the academic transcript is required. Appointment of successful candidate will be conditional based on receipt of the official transcript provided by the school, college, or university.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
To apply for this job please visit laserfiche.alabama.gov.