Kansas Department for Aging and Disability Services / Larned State Hospital Superintendent (Appointive State Agency Head)
Superintendent (Appointive State Agency Head)
Job ID 208878
Location Pawnee County
Full/Part Time Full-Time
Agency Larned State Hospital
Important Recruitment Information for this vacancy
• Job Posting closes: Open until filled
• Required documents uploaded by: All required documents listed below must be attached to your application within 2 days of applying for your application to be considered complete.
Kansas Department for Aging and Disability Services
Protecting Kansans, Promoting Recovery and Supporting Self Sufficiency
About the Position
• Who can apply: Anyone
• Classified/Unclassified Service: Unclassified
• Full-Time/Part-Time: Full-time
• Regular/Temporary: Regular
• Eligible to Receive Benefits: Yes
• Veterans’ Preference Eligible: Yes
• Search Keywords: Superintendent (Appointive State Agency Head)
Compensation: Up to $145,000- $185,000 annually
* Salary can vary depending upon education, experience, or qualifications.
• Comprehensive medical, mental, dental, vision, and additional coverage
• Sick & Vacation leave
• Work-Life Balance programs: parental leave, military leave, jury leave, funeral leave
• Paid State Holidays (designated by the Governor annually)
• Fitness Centers in select locations
• Employee discounts with the STAR Program
• Retirement and deferred compensation programs
Visit the Employee Benefits page for more information…
Position Summary & Responsibilities
The purpose of this position is to oversee and direct the administrative operations of the largest state hospital in Kansas, which has three distinctly different programs, the Sexual Predator Treatment Program (SPTP), State Security Program (SSP), and Psychiatric Services Program (PSP). This position serves as the appointing authority for the hospital, working through subordinate supervisors in order to ensure that all patients and residents are treated with respect, receive high quality care and treatment, and are treated in accordance with applicable state and federal laws. The Superintendent prepares short and long range planning as well as timely budget documents to ensure appropriate staffing levels; efficient use of resources.and ensures clean and safe campus. This position oversees disciplinary actions for employees of the hospital and makes decision for the agency for hiring and dismissal of employees as warranted within a responsive and fair personnel program. This position promotes and maintains effective working relationships with the community including integrating the hospital into the continuum of care for the mentally ill. This position is subject to the mission statement of the hospital and KDADS and maintains an environment which is conductive to fulfilling the agency’s mission. This individual is an active part of all natural work teams and is to identify, define, question, and present alternative plans of action in areas of work identified in need of improvement and to provide quality customer service. This position accomplishes tasks by reviewing reports, making rounds, conferring with supervisors and conducting meetings.
Requires knowledge of business, personnel, admission, mental health and health and environment laws, standards and regulations; knowledge of public sector budgeting processes; the ability to use sound judgement in making timely decisions with considerable monetary and legal impacts; and the ability to establish effective working relationships with subordinate staff. This position collaborates with community members and serves on local community work teams and committees.
Job Responsibilities may include but are not limited to the following:
• Provides testimony before the Kansas Legislature and responds to legislative requests as indicated.
• Insures thorough short and long range planning as well as timely budget preparation and fiscal accountability.
• Determines proper staffing; ensures appropriate and efficient use of staff within budgetary limits.
• Insures a responsive and fair personnel program, making hiring decisions for the agency.
• Oversees and makes determinations in disciplinary actions.
• Guides the HR department for investigations of employee discipline or conflicts.
• Ensures a clean, safe and attractive campus environment.
• Promotes and maintains effective working relationship with community members.
• Chairs the Administrative Executive Committee, Leadership Team, and Employee Executive Committee.
• Promotes and implements policies and integrates the hospital into the continuum of care for the mentally ill.
• Ensures current mission and vision statements, LSH Bylaws, Ethical Behavioral Standards, and Codes of Business Conduct are in place and reviewed triennially.
• Coordinates the Citizen’s Advisory Committee and collaborates with members of the community.
• Serves on the Community Hospital Organization committee in Pawnee County.
Policy Review and Implementation:
• Directs, coordinates and oversees policy development and implementation for the agency.
• Works with KDADS legal, Department Heads, and Program Directors to have current accurate policies for the agency and programs at LSH.
• Reviews policies with the Administrative Executive Committee and provides signature and approval for LSH policies.
Accreditation, Quality Assurance and Risk Management:
• Directs, Coordinates and evaluates through subordinate supervisors the quality assurance, accreditation, Medicare, Medicaid, Kansas Department of Health and Environment (KDHE), Kansas State Fire Marshal, and other agencies standards; ensures continuance of monies from funding sources; and to control risks and minimize losses in all areas of the hospital.
• Ensures agency compliance with standards and regulations by reviewing and analyzing reports, making rounds and conferring with subordinate supervisor and experts in the field.
• Maintains a comprehensive knowledge of The Joint Commission, Centers for Medicare and Medicaid, KDHE, Quality Management, and Risk Management standards and guidelines as well as the legal and financial consequences associates with not meeting those requirements. Also, requires the ability to recognize significant problems, prioritize and make quick, sound Administrative action.
Supervision and Employee Oversight:
• Serves as the appointing authority for the agency.
• Supervises Administrative Program Directors for SPTP, SSP, and PSP and their operation of the three programs at Larned State Hospital.
• Oversees the Chief Financial Officer and duties related to the fiscal responsibilities of the agency.
• Oversees two assistant Superintendents who oversee clinical services, operations, Risk Management, Quality Management, Safety Officer, Safety and Security, as well as criminal investigations of incidents on LSH campus.
• Provides administrative supervision for the Chief Medical Officer and Chief Nursing Officer for LSH.
• Plans, organizes, directs, coordinates, reviews and evaluations administrative operations through subordinate supervisors in order to ensure that all patient, personnel and business transactions are made in compliance with all applicable laws, regulations, policies and procedures.
• Engages in recruiting, hiring, training, supervising, evaluating, counseling, disciplining and terminating employees. This is done through supervisory conferences, reviews of reports, results of surveys, performance on special assignments and grievances.
• Promotes a positive organizational culture among campus staff through employee engagement, training subordinate supervisors, and ensuring fair and timely resolution of interpersonal conflicts and employee performance issues.
• Works with the Kansas Organization of State Employees stewards and participates in labor management meetings.
• Approves or denies background checks.
Completes special projects and performs other duties as assigned including but not limited to ensuring the agency is adequately staffed during and immediately following natural and/or manmade disasters, infectious disease outbreaks, and/or acts of terrorism. Assists other employees in the work unit in accomplishing assignments as necessary.
• A baccalaureate degree and five years’ experience in a responsible administrative position in a hospital or in the health care field.
• Completion of formal education in a graduate course in administration or mental health or Master’s Degree in business, public administration, business administration, psychiatry, psychology, social work, health care administration, clinical, or other related fields.
Recruiter Contact Information
KDADS – Human Resources Recruiter
503 S. Kansas Ave
Topeka, KS 66603
Job Application Process
• First Sign in or register as a New User.
• Complete or update your contact information on the Careers> My Contact Information page. *This information is included on all your job applications.
• Upload required documents listed below for the Careers> My Job Applications page. *This information is included on all your job applications.
• Start your draft job application, upload other required documents, and Submit when it is complete.
• Manage your draft and submitted applications on the Careers> My Job Applications page.
• Check your email and My Job Notifications for written communications from the Recruiter.
• Email – sent to the Preferred email on the My Contact Information page
• Notifications – view the Careers> My Job Notifications page
Helpful Resources at jobs.ks.gov: “How to Apply for a Job – Instructions” and “How to Search for a Job – Instructions”
Required Documents for this Application to be Complete
Upload these on the Careers – My Job Applications page
• DD214 (if you are claiming Veteran’s Preference)
Upload these on the Attachments step in your Job Application
• Cover Letter
Helpful Resources at jobs.ks.gov: “How, What, & Where do I Upload Documents”
How to Claim Veterans Preference
Veterans’ Preference Eligible (VPE): Former military personnel or their spouse that have been verified as a “veteran”; under K.S.A. 73-201 will receive an interview if they meet the minimum competency factors of the position. The veterans’ preference laws do not guarantee the veteran a job. Positions are filled with the best qualified candidate as determine by the hiring manager.
Learn more about claiming Veteran’s Preference
Equal Employment Opportunity
The State of Kansas is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We value diversity, equity, and inclusion as essential elements that create and foster a welcoming workplace. All qualified persons will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, political affiliation, disability or any other factor unrelated to the essential functions of the job.
If you wish to identify yourself as a qualified person with a disability under the Americans with Disabilities Act and would like to request an accommodation, please address the request to the agency recruiter.
To apply for this job please visit jobs.sok.ks.gov.