NASDDDS Seeking to Hire: “Community Life Engagement and Employment Program Specialist”
Program Specialist: Community Life Engagement and Employment
The National Association of State Directors of Developmental Disabilities Services (NASDDDS) is seeking applications for the position of Program Specialist for Community Life Engagement and Employment. The Program Specialists reports directly to the Executive Director and is a member of a dynamic team of professionals committed to assisting member state agencies in building person-centered systems of services and supports for people with developmental disabilities and their families. The position requires considerable independent work and a combination of research, writing, and organizational skills. The position requires extensive interaction with state officials, research, writing, preparation of publications, and organizing teleconferences and meetings. Knowledge and/or experience in the field of Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities around development and implementation of competitive employment and community engagement is required. The primary responsibilities include:
1) Research state and/or provider programs that effectively support people to expand skills, explore career interests and increase community engagement through inclusive community-based strategies that complement and increase opportunities for hours spent in competitive employment
2) Analyze innovative and promising state employment and community life engagement practices: manage data; conduct literature searches; generate reports and graphics
3) Work with the SELN project staff from NASDDDS and the Institute on Community Inclusion at the University of Massachusetts Boston (ICI) on the completion of SELN tasks
4) Prepare informational materials on SELN and other related activities for inclusion in association reports, newsletters, and publications
5) Represent the association on various committees and work groups and acting as liaison to other associations and organizations related to state policy and operations.
- Graduation from an accredited college or university with a bachelor’s degree or graduate degree with major coursework in social or behavioral sciences, education, or journalism.
In addition to meeting required qualifications, preference will be given to applicants with demonstrated knowledge and experience in the following:
- Community Life Engagement Experience: Candidate must possess experience in state government or provider employment that focused on supporting individuals with I/DD in activities designed to maximize their connections and engagement with their community in addition to the person’s work life.
- Employment Experience: Candidates must possess experience in conducting policy analysis, research, or program development and/or program evaluation. Preference will be given to candidates with additional experience in state or local agency employment programs for individuals with intellectual and/or developmental disabilities.
- Additional Requirements: Position requires: (a) the ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing; (b) the ability to gather, analyze and report on data on social service delivery systems; (c) familiarity with basic research/statistical methodology; (d) knowledge of computer hardware and software programs including Word and Excel; and (e) the ability to perform literature searches of both print and internet-based materials.
The position is located in Alexandria Virginia. The position requires some local, regional, and national travel.
To apply submit a cover letter and resume including salary requirements to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Closing date for applications: November 13
NASDDDS is an equal opportunity employer